Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Ok, I'll admit it. I love Captain Lafayette "Fate" Rhys. In fact, I love him so much that I have decided to start writing a serial following the exploits and hi-jinks in which he and his crew often find themselves. Right now, I am working my way through a standard writing plan and am creating character profiles for each of the crew members. This part is so much fun! I feel like I am meeting new people through this exercise. I have a basic crew roster, and I have to fill it with characters that are interesting, engaging, and yet at the same time realistic. Their conflicts are going to be both physical and psychological. They will all be a part of me, part of people I may know, and part of people I would like to know. I want to tell you more in-depth information about each one, but that will have to wait for a later step. Right now, I can tell you this: the head biologist is guilt-ridden, driven, and also the ship's volunteer yoga instructor. She is innovative when it comes to getting the most out of the ship's gardens and life support systems, but spends most of her time researching an elusive cure to a puzzling disease. The ship's chef is the descendant of influential colony designers, but has established himself on his own merits, as one of the best and most innovative chefs in the Fleet. He is also the author of many trashy, tragic romance novels that he writes under a pen name, much to the chagrin of his family.

I have discovered that these two characters will work closely together, since they are both responsible in part for the crew's food supply. How closely is yet to be determined, but here's another little tidbit for you. The chef is the second best yogi on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment